Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Beef Enchiladas

Side note: Just to let you all know, before you start using my recipes, is that I do not use hardly any salt in my cooking. My belief is that everyone likes a different amount of salt in their food. So, I only put the minimal amount, then keep the salt shaker on the dinner table. This way, you don't have to worry about food being too salty. You can always add more salt, but it's hard to fix something if it's already too salty.



What I really wanted to share: Growing up, my mom used to make the best chicken enchiladas. Every time I go home to visit, I ask my mom to make enchiladas. Well, my cute hubby was craving enchiladas, but he wanted beef. So, I made one of my favorite dishes in a way that satisfied both of our cravings.

But, I wasn't going to sell myself short on last night's dinner. You can't have homemade enchiladas without fresh salsa. There is no way! Nothing says summertime like fresh salsa. It's also a fun way to lighten the meal. You won't regret making these two things for your next dinner.





Savory Beef Enchiladas

1 12 oz. can red enchilada sauce  $.79
1 cup water
20 corn tortillas (approximately)  $1.99
1 cup cheddar cheese $2.75

filling:
1 lb. ground beef  $2.99
1 medium onion, chopped $.50
1 can diced green chili peppers  $.89
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed  $1.19
1 can refried beans  $.79
1 package taco seasoning  $.50
salt


Preheat oven to 350⁰ F
Brown ground beef with chopped onion and green chili peppers. Once it is cooked, drain fat. Mix ground beef mixture with black beans, refried beans, a few shakes of salt, and taco seasoning in a medium sized bowl.
Pour enchilada sauce in a separate bowl. Add water to enchilada sauce, and stir. Take each tortilla and dip it in the sauce. Place a few spoonfuls (depending on how stuffed you like your enchiladas), roll tortillas shut. Place stuffed tortillas in a 9x13 pan.
After all the tortillas are stuffed, pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top. Top with cheese. Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Ideas: You can try corn, pinto beans, pepperjack cheese, or ground turkey meat. Treyton and I are on a turkey meat kick, because it is cheaper and a lot healthier!
Top with: sour cream, more cheese (you can never have too much), lettuce, salsa, hot sauce, and whatever your heart desires!
Total estimated cost: $12.39
Servings: 4
Total cost per serving: $3.10

Cheesy Goodness :)

Honestly, when you're a poor college student, you can easily cut this recipe and the cost in half. If you're me, I cook in larger portions. So, I made a whole pan. But, I love to do this, because we have dinner one night then lunch for Treyton and I the next day. I'm not going to complain about a the price if it feeds us for 2 meals. 






1 comment: