Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Mama's Oatmeal Cookies

Side Note: If I don't put a price of an ingredient next to it, that means that the given amount is less than $.01, so it doesn't really cost anything.

I've always considered myself the cookie queen. I'm going to lie to you, I take great pride in my baking abilities. I'm confident that I know how to make super delicious desserts. But, there's one cookie I have never been able to perfect: Oatmeal cookies. They always turned out weird. They would burn, be super hard, deformed, and super flat. No matter which recipe I tried, I could never get them right. So, I stopped attempting to make them and never really ate them either.

Cue super cute husband: Then, Treyton magically appeared in my life, along with an amazing oatmeal cookie recipe that I can make! Treyton isn't much of a sweets eater (sadly), but he will scarf down a half dozen of these in one sitting, easily. Thanks to his mama, Karen, he introduced me to this recipe. It is awesome. It's the perfect, most delicious oatmeal cookie recipe I have ever used. At first, Treyton didn't let me make these cookies, because he was pro at making them himself. But today I have evidence of how good his mama's secret recipe for oatmeal cookies is and how well they turned out.

Brace yourselves. Here we go!



Mama's Oatmeal Cookies
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter  $2.00
3/4 cup brown sugar  $.30
1/2 cup sugar  $.13
1 egg  $.12
1 tsp. vanilla  $.17
1 1/2 cups flour  $.12
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon  $.11
1/4 tsp. nutmeg  $.05
3 cups oats  $1.82

Soften butter. Beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well. Stir in oats.
Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375°F for 8-9 minutes. 

Tips: don't bake on the silicone baking sheets, they don't bake properly. You can buy a cookie scoop (almost like an ice cream scoop), that will revolutionize your cookie making. It makes all the balls of dough the perfect size. 
Ideas: Try adding raisins or chocolate chips. Use cream cheese icing or buttercream for a filling and create your own homemade oatmeal cream pies. Or make oatmeal cream pie ice cream sandwiches. 

Total Estimated Cost: $4.82
Servings: about 32 cookies
Total Cost Per Serving: $.15

If you don't change out your oatmeal cookie recipe for this one after you're done making them, then you've gone crazy. You won't be disappointed! 

1 comment:

  1. I had problems with these white chocolate chip cranberry oatmeal cookies I tried to bake the other day. Maybe this recipe will work better. Thanks girl.

    ReplyDelete