Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Spinach Braid

If you couldn't tell by now, I'm not a huge fan of processed foods and pre-made meals. I love homemade food. It tastes SO much better than store bought and is healthier for you too (generally, haha). One food I don't like buying is Hot Pockets. Great idea; terrible execution. The flavor is so gross. I was so disappointed one time at work when I bought a ham, turkey, and cheese Hot Pocket. It was so gross. I just threw it away and bought something else.
So here's an amazing recipe that I will sweat by. It is so delicious, creamy, addictive, filling, and easy to do. I was going to share some of what I made with my husband, but that didn't happen! I couldn't put the spinach braid down, it was so good! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


Spinach Braid

1 loaf's worth of dough (homemade or store bought pre-made dough)  $.95-$1.16
8 oz cream cheese  $1.69
3 cups spinach  $2.99
1/2 tsp. basil  
1/2 tsp. rosemary  $.01
2 eggs  $.23
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese  $.97
2 cups ham  $2.25
1 cup fresh mushrooms  $1.10
1/2 cup chopped onion  $1.12
1 clove garlic  $.06
2 Tbsp. butter  $.19
1/2 tsp. salt 
1/8 tsp. pepper

Roll out dough to a 12x18 square on greased or floured surface, cover in plastic wrap and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. In a bowl, mix softened cream cheese, chopped spinach, basil, rosemary, 1 egg, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, ham, and salt and pepper. In a pan, melt butter then sauté minced garlic, chopped onions, and chopped mushrooms. 

After the dough is done resting, spread the cream cheese and ham mixture on the dough in a 4 inch strip down the middle (leaving about 4 inches on both sides). Add sauteed mixture on top of the other filling. Cut 1 inch wide strips 3 inches in to the center. 

Then, take your strips of dough on the side and braid them on the top of the filling, to cover it. Once you're done braiding the dough, beat the last egg and brush it on the top of the dough. Sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan cheese. 


Here's a rough picture of what the braiding will look like, so that you get an idea. 

Bake at 350°F. for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!

Total Estimated Cost: $11.77
Servings: 4
Cost Per Serving:  $2.94



No comments:

Post a Comment